Planning Your Event
Deciding to host a community fundraiser for Lurie Children’s is a huge accomplishment in itself—thank you! Here are 10 steps to help you get started:
- Form a planning committee. Bring together a group of enthusiastic people who share your interest in raising money for a great cause. A dedicated planning committee will increase the probability of a successful event.
- Brainstorm. Gather members of your planning committee to brainstorm ideas for your fundraiser. Give free rein to your imagination — several heads are better than one!
- Choose the “right” event. The type of event you choose should fit the size, interests, talents, goals and time availability of your planning committee.
- Identify your audience. Consider who is most likely to attend and support the type of event you are planning.
- Develop a budget. Try to identify expenses and possible sources of funding, including in-kind products and services. This will help keep your costs down, which is something everyone will appreciate. We encourage everyone to maintain fundraising costs at 18 percent of your budget.
- Develop an event timeline. A timeline is important in planning a publicity strategy for your event.
- Schedule the event. Select a time that is appropriate and convenient for your event attendees. Be sure to check local community calendars for conflicting events.
- Open a bank account. You may find that you will need to establish a bank account to accommodate incoming revenue and expenses. This can be done by visiting a local bank and creating a business account under your event’s name.
- Collect all funds. We ask that all funds be forwarded to Lurie Children’s Foundation within 30 days following the conclusion of your event.
- Say thank you! Send thank-you letters, notes or e-mails to everyone who participated in or supported your event. Prompt acknowledgement shows your appreciation and reinforces their goodwill about supporting the hospital.
How we can help!
How we can help make your event a success:
- Provide consultation on fundraisers and events (e.g. timeline, raffle items)
- Provide a letter of authorization to validate the authenticity of the event and its organizers
- Provide our tax ID number for donation purposes only
- Provide and approve use of our logo, when appropriate
- Help you select an area of the hospital for your donation to support
- Attend check presentations, when feasible
- Supply hospital-branded giveaways (e.g. balloons, stickers)
Services we are unable to provide:
- Our sales tax exemption number
- Insurance or liability coverage
- Mailing list of donors and/or vendors
- Lurie Children’s stationery
- Funding or reimbursement for your expenses
- Celebrities or professional athletes for your event
- Publicity (newspaper, radio, television, etc.)
- Guaranteed attendance of physicians or hospital staff